Search the record indexes available online to begin exploring the Livingston County Historian's resources. New content is being added weekly, so be sure to check back. See the descriptions below for a field guide of categories on the database.
Note: there are no uploaded images linked here; this is purely a database of references.
Census:an individual entry from a census schedule in Livingston County. The New York State Census of 1855, 1865 (partial), 1892 (Sparta only), 1915, and 1925 are available here. Images of original census pages, 1790 to 1930, are available in the County Historian's Office, as well as on www.familysearch.com.
Church:indexed names from church registers, minute books, and other documents from around Livingston County. In some cases, more information or original images may be available; please inquire. (New content uploaded occasionally.)
Series currently contains:
- East Avon First Presbyterian Church Records, 1810-1911
- Caledonia First Presbyterian Church Records, 1805-1886
- Geneseo St. Michael’s Episcopal Church, 1827-1871
- Geneseo St. Mary’s Catholic Church, Baptisms, 1857-1935
- Geneseo St. Mary’s Catholic Church, Marriages, 1859-1955
- Associate Reformed Church of Cuylerville (Leicester), General Register, 1847-1865
- Lima Presbyterian Church Records, 1804-1974
- Livonia Center Presbyterian Church Records, 1806-1949
- Mt. Morris:
- Brooks Grove (Mt. Morris) Adult Sunday School Records, c. 1843-1858
- Brooks Grove Cradle Roll, 1928-1941
- Brooks Grove Secretary’s Book, 1905-1918
- Mt. Morris Presbyterian Church Baptisms, Marriages, Deaths, and Admissions by Rev. Levi Parsons, 1856-1901 (in process)
- Mt. Morris First Baptist Society Member Lists, 1846-1847
- Ossian Presbyterian Church Records, 1818-1904
- Sparta Freewill Baptist Church Records, 1829-1844
- Sparta First Presbyterian Church Records, 1828, 1839
- Sparta German Lutheran Church Records, 1837-1875
Death:most entries are from a survey of all legible Livingston County burial markers up to 1885, created by the DAR in 1945. All available information from this survey is online. All entries from other sources will cite the source in the References field and show a "N" in the Marked Graves field - it does not necessarily mean the individual is in an unmarked grave. To check for more obituaries from the Rochester Democrat and Chronicle, visit their website. (New content every week.)
Ledger:includes entries from various business and organization ledgers, as well as scattered vital records. Please ask if there is uncertainty about what an entry may indicate. Series comprises:
- Vital Records:
- Livingston County Vital Records, 1847 to 1849. An 1847 law required each town clerk to collect vital statistics (birth, death, and marriage records), though they ceased doing so after a few years. This series includes the towns of Caledonia through York, between about 1847 to 1849. There are no records from the town of Avon, nor from Ossian (which was still part of Allegany County). Other towns had varying degrees of compliance with the law.
- Rev. C. L. Bown Marriage Records, 1843 to 1881. A reverend's records of marriages around Geneseo.
- Reuben Waldo account book, 1829 to 1839. Waldo was a wagon maker and blacksmith located in the Village of Avon and kept a register of his clients.
- Reuben Waldo account book, 1857 to 1870.
- Avon Springs Water Cure ledger, 1872 to 1881. Lists names of patients and visitors to the Avon Cure hotel and spa.
- Caledonia General Store Daybook, 1815 to 1816. A very early register of customers' accounts in the Caledonia vicinity.
- School Records:
- School Register, Avon Dist. Number 4, August 1901 to July 1902.
- School Register, Avon Dist. Number 4, August 1902 to July 1903.
- School Register, Avon Dist. Number 4, August 1903 to July 1904.
- School Register, Avon Dist. Number 4, August 1905 to July 1906.
- School Register, Avon Dist. Number 4, August 1906 to July 1907.
- School Register, Avon Dist. Number 4, August 1908 to July 1909.
- School Register, Avon Dist. Number 6, August 1917 to July 1918.
- Census of Children of Geneseo District Number 5, 1874.
- School Register, Geneseo Dist. Number 3, August 1899 to July 1900.
- School Register, Geneseo Dist. Number 3, August 1900 to July 1901.
- School Register, Livonia Dist. Number 13, August 1899 to July 1900.
- School Register, Livonia Dist. Number 13, August 1901 to July 1902.
- School Register, Springwater/Canadice Dist. Number 4, November 1866 to May 1868.
- School Register, Portage Dist. Number 4, August 1905 to July 1906.
- Justice of the Peace Records:
- Groveland Justice of the Peace Civil Docket, 1903 to 1908. Just a few civil cases seen by the Groveland Justice of the Peace.
- Groveland Justice of the Peace Criminal Docket, 1903 to 1905.
- Justice of the Peace Docket, Livonia, 1850 to 1880.
- Lakeville Temperance Society minutebook, 1828 to 1840. The members of this early temperance society in a hamlet in Livonia have been indexed.
- Register of Oakland Lodge, 1855 to 1875. The members of this Masonic Lodge were from the Nunda/Portage/Castile/Genesee Falls and Pike areas.
- Knights of the Maccabees, York Lodge, Member Register, 1903 to 1905.
Marriage:entries from the Livingston County Clerk's Record of Marriages, 1908 to 1926. Some entries may be drawn from an index only, with no other information available; these will be identified in the Notes field. Others are from the actual marriage license, so upon request more information will be available. In either case, click on the number given in the record to find the spouse's name. Original images may be available from www.familysearch.com. (Series complete.)
Naturalization:an entry from naturalization or citizenship registers, 1821 to 1954. Most may be limited to the information visible in the Records Index. (Series complete.)
Newspapers:a reference to a newspaper article (usually between 1824 to 1911) in which the indexed name appears. Most newspapers are on microfilm in the Livingston County Historian's Office; some may also be discoverable on www.fultonhistory.com. (New content every week.)
Poorhouse:the individual named was indexed from a register of residents at the Poorhouse or Almshouse located in Geneseo or from a ledger of Poorhouse proceedings. (Series currently complete.)
Veteran:the person named has been identified as having served in the military via one or more sources. The Soldiers in Service reference covers 2001-present and consists of clippings. More information may be available upon request. (New content uploaded monthly.)
Updated August 2017