The National WIC Association has created materials to help people better understand what the WIC Program does and to showcase the value of WIC services to families across the nation. Click on the links below to find out more!
What is eWIC?
What is eWIC (Spanish version)?
What is WIC?
Women, Infants, and Children (WIC) is a federal nutrition program. WIC provides monthly benefits for healthy foods, nutrition counseling, and referrals to health care for eligible pregnant women, breastfeeding mothers of infants one year or younger, non-breastfeeding mothers of infants six months or younger, and children less than five years old.
How Do You Qualify for WIC?
- Live in New York State
- Meet the income guidelines set by the federal government
You must also be:
- A pregnant woman
- An infant or child up to five years old
- A mother of a baby up to six months old
- A breastfeeding mother of a baby up to 12 months old
Income Guidelines - Gross Salary
Find out if you qualify according to the following:
What Can WIC Do for You?
WIC can help with breastfeeding. WIC provides breastfeeding information, counseling, and a link to other WIC moms who have successfully breastfed their babies. WIC can also supply breast pumps for moms.
WIC can help you find medical help for you and your family. You can also learn about other services in the community that might help you.
WIC has Nurses and Nutritionists on staff to assist you with making healthy food choices. For recipes to help, visit WIC Strong or What's Cooking.
WIC can save you money on your food budget. WIC gives you or your child monthly benefits for healthy foods. Women and children can purchase food worth an average of $75 a month. WIC benefits are redeemed at local stores that are WIC approved.
When and How Do You Apply for WIC?
- Call or email WIC as soon as you are pregnant, or at any time during your pregnancy, or if you have children under the age of five.
- When you call the WIC office for an appointment, staff will ask you to bring the following:
- Children to be enrolled
- Proof of address
- Proof of household income
- Proof of identification
Acceptable Foods Card
Shopping with eWIC