Social Services

Instead of visiting a county building, please call for any service needs or appointments.  DSS remains operational; and minimally staffed, now providing application assistance via telephone communication.  Many emergency situations can also be handled over the phone, please call for an appointment. Phone: (585) 243-7300.

Notice to ALL Recipients of Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), Temporary Assistance and Medicaid:
As a result of the COVID-19 pandemic, certain SNAP/TA/MA and SNAP only recertifications scheduled to expire in March, April and May will be extended for a period of three months.  Please click here for more information.  Como resultado de la pandemia de COVID-19, ciertas recertificaciones SNAP/TA/MA y SNAP programadas para expirar en marzo, abril y mayo se extenderán por un período de tres meses.  Por favor haga clic aquí para más información.

The Department of Social Services assists all Livingston County residents with a myriad of family supports, both financial as well as social. Some of our assistance solutions have income eligibility requirements.   You can apply for many benefits on-line. 

(previously called Food Stamps) is an income based program and is intended to supplement the food budget of eligible households. Application for SNAP can be made online at   

Temporary Assistance is an income based program that covers families and single adults with ongoing and/or emergency assistance.  Applications can be obtained at  Completed applications can be mailed to our office or faxed to (585) 243-7344.  

Medicaid is the umbrella that supplies the financial source for many variations in medical assistance. Community Medicaid is provided mainly through Managed Care plans. Application for Medicaid can be made online at

Day Care provides for reimbursement of Day Care expenses to Day Care Centers, Registered Providers, and approved Legally-Exempt Day Care Providers on behalf of those determined eligible for this subsidy.  Applications can be obtained at  Completed applications can be mailed to our office or faxed to (585) 243-7344.  

HEAP can help you with heating and utility costs, and certain essential heating equipment repairs. You may apply for HEAP online at

Livingston County Department of Social Services is participating in NYDocSubmit, a Mobile Document Upload Application that allows you to take pictures of required documents for Temporary Assistance (TA), Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), Home Energy Assistance Program (HEAP) and Medicaid (MA) and submit them directly to our office.

Documents that may not be submitted using NYDocSubmit are:
  • Applications
  • Documents that contain HIV information.
  • Domestic Violence information.
  • Address that must remain confidential to safeguard any member of an applicant's or recipient's household.