GENESEO, N.Y., Apr. 5, 2023 – Livingston County is pleased to announce that it was among just 10 recipients from New York State to be awarded funding by the Federal Communications Commission to promote the Affordable Connectivity Program.
The County, which is scheduled to receive $50,000 in total over two years, will use the money to promote the availability of the ACP through radio advertisements, billboard placements, direct mail campaigns and social media content designed to spread awareness and potentially help qualifying households save money on their monthly internet bill.
The Affordable Connectivity Program provides a discount of up to $30 per month toward internet service for eligible households and funds a one-time $100 discount toward the purchase of a laptop, desktop computer or tablet from participating providers if buyers contribute more than $10 and less than $50 toward the purchase price.
A household is eligible for the Affordable Connectivity Program if its household income is at or below 200% of the Federal Poverty Guidelines, or if a member of the household meets at least one of the criteria below:
- Received a Federal Pell Grant during the current award year;
- Meets the eligibility criteria for a participating provider's existing low-income internet program;
- Participates in one of these assistance programs:
- Free and Reduced-Price School Lunch Program or School Breakfast Program including at U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) Community Eligibility Provision schools.
- Housing Choice Voucher (HCV) Program (Section 8 Vouchers)
- Project-Based Rental Assistance (PBRA)/202/811
- Public Housing
- Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
- Veterans Pension or Survivor Benefits
- or Lifeline
With broadband access being prioritized at the highest levels of government, Livingston County, is committed to bringing high-speed internet access to every address within its borders. Recently, the County, in partnership with Empire Access, announced that the groundwork for delivering high-speed, affordable broadband internet as part of its Light Up Livingston initiative is underway with construction set to commence this year.
Learn more about the Federal Affordable Connectivity Program including eligibility and how to register by visiting the Federal Communications Commission’s website.
Stay up-to-date with the latest news, events and more by following Livingston County on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook and LinkedIn.
About Livingston County:
Founded in 1821, Livingston County, N.Y., is comprised of more than 61,000 residents in 17 towns located across 631 square miles of the Finger Lakes region.