A local historical marker was stolen. How do I get another one?

The New York State Historic Marker program was first launched in 1927-1932 by the State Education Department to inform motorists about the rich cultural heritage of the state. There were a few more initiatives over the years sponsored by the state, but no funds were set aside to maintain or replace the signs. Therefore, old signs may be replicated and/or new signs mounted along roadsides or on a private residence, but New York State will not fund the project. Permission to erect the signs must be obtained from the property owners if on private land. If the sign is placed in a public right-of-way or along a road, then requests to install the sign must be approved by the governmental authority that maintains the highway. Don’t forget to check with zoning and be sure to report a theft to the local police - occasionally these signs do resurface. 

Grant funds for new signs may be obtained through the William G. Pomeroy Foundation Historic Roadside Marker Program; some restrictions apply.

Show All Answers

1. Where can I find birth, marriage, and death certificates?
2. Where can I find church records in Livingston County?
3. How do I get my property on the National Register of Historic Places?
4. What year was my house built? How do I learn about my property's history?
5. Where are naturalization records? How did immigrant women and children become citizens?
6. A local historical marker was stolen. How do I get another one?
7. Does the historian's office accept donations of historical items?
8. What is the difference between the Historical Society and the County Historian's Office?