When can I expect to receive my restitution money?
  • Restitution payments are made to the local probation department by the defendant.  Payments are based on the amount ordered and disbursed according to the schedule of payments in the restitution order.  The appropriate restitution collection agency will then send a check to you accordingly. 
    • You must furnish the restitution collection agency with your current address.  Always notify the restitution collection agency of your change of address by using the Victim Change of Address Form
    • If the New York State Crime Office of Victim Services has paid your bills, the Court may order that restitution payments be made to the OVS for those paid items.
    • If you filed a claim with the New York State Office of Victim Services, it is important that you advise the OVS if the Court orders the perpetrator to pay restitution. 

Show All Answers

1. I am a victim and I misplaced the Victim Impact Statement sent to me. How do I find another one?
2. I am a victim, how do I change my address?
3. What is restitution?
4. Who is entitled to restitution?
5. How do I ask for restitution?
6. How is restitution ordered?
7. How is restitution determined?
8. Are minors (juveniles) ordered to pay restitution?
9. Do I have any legal rights as a crime victim? Do different victims have different rights?
10. The police and DA have my property. They say they need it as evidence. When can I get my things back?
11. Do I have the right to know what is happening to the person accused of committing the crime against me?
12. I wish the person who committed this crime could understand what it has done to my life and the lives of my loved ones. How can I explain this to him/her?
13. I am afraid of the person who committed the crime against me. How can I be protected?
14. When can I expect to receive my restitution money?
15. What services does Office of Victim Services provide victims?
16. Who may be eligible for compensation from the Office of Victim Services?
17. What kinds of expenses may I get compensated for by the Office of Victim Services?
18. What if my property was lost, damaged or destroyed because of the crime?
19. What are the steps to receive Office of Victim Services (OVS) compensation?
20. Are there other ways I can be compensated for my losses related to the crime?